Summer is in full swing and eggplant is a summer staple. Here at Weiser Family Farm's, we love eggplant so much that we grow three different varieties:
Caliope- These eggplants are tear-drop shaped and are violet streaked with white and very pretty. They are not bitter at all and taste so good.
Green Apple- Tasty pale green round to oval shaped eggplants. Eggplant has an extremely mild flavor and white flesh.
Black Bell- Classic eggplant. Dark in color and delicious.
Here is my favorite recipe for eggplant from Hope's Edge by Frances Moore Lappe and Anna Lappe:
Grilled Eggplant Steak with Feta & Red Peppers
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce (a low-wheat Japanese soy sauce; if unavailable, other kinds of soy sauce are acceptable)
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper
1 large eggplant or 3 smaller eggplant (about 1 pound)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 slices pita bread
- Prepare grill (or broiler). In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar with tamari, garlic and oil. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- With a knife, remove the top of bell pepper and the inside seeds. Grill until skin blisters and chars. Place in a closed paper or plastic bag for 10 minutes, allowing the steam to loosen skin. Remove skin (you can place pepper under running water to assist in removal, if needed). Cut into dice and set aside.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 4 slices about 1/2-inch thick, resembling steaks. Place in a 9-by-13-inch glass dish. Pour marinade over eggplant and marinate for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- With tongs, remove eggplant from marinade and grill 2-5 minutes on each side, until fork-tender.
- In a mixing bowl, place diced pepper, feta, olives and oregano, stirring to combine. Pour leftover eggplant marinade into mixture and stir.
- Toast or grill pita bread and slice into wedges.
- To assemble, place pita bread on plate, topping it with an eggplant steak. Spoon feta salad on top of eggplant.
- Makes 4 servings.